Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tank Top into Baby Dress -- TUTORIAL #1

Here I will show you how I made this dress out of a tank top -- in less than 1/2 hour!


I started with a girls size L tank top that I got at a yard sale for 75 cents.
(A little steep, I know, but when I saw it I immediately had a vision of what I wanted to do!)


Turn the tank inside out and fold at center front.


Pin to create the right bodice width.


Before sewing, open to check that the strap placement will fit your baby.
(I just eyeballed it here.)


Sew only to the bottom of where you want the bodice to end.


Cut away the excess, leaving a seam allowance of 1/4" or so, then cut straight across, perpendicular to the fold.


Open the bodice, looking at the wrong side, and pinch down the excess fabric to create a box pleat.


I stitched this by hand, attaching it to a previous seam to keep it in place.


This is what it should look like.


Cut the straps off the back side of the tank.


Pin along the side seam, creating a shape you like while eyeballing the width it needs to be at the top so it will fit your baby. Ease into the existing seam to you don't have to mess with the hem.


Mine didn't match up at the top. Problem? No.


I scrunched it. ("Scrunch" is a very technical term!) This created more interest in the "bodice" of the dress.


Sew along where you pinned, then fold the finished side over the unfinished side. With pins, match up what you sewed on the first side, and sew the second side.

Finish the seams however you like (or not, knits don't ravel!), and....

...Ta-Da! A super cute little dress!

You could try it on your baby and mark where to attach the straps on the other side, or do like I did and use the straps as ties.


I love how it turned out!


Very sweet and summery!
You could use this as a swimsuit coverup, too!

8 comments:

Trudy said...

Very clever. They are both adorable.

www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Galadriel said...

I've enjoyed browsing your blog. Your projects are all so cute; I'm really impressed at your dedication and talent. Just thought I'd say.

julie said...

Great tutorial and very cute dress!

kundhi.com

Anne said...

Wow! Such a cute dress! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-baby-halter-dress-from-an-adult-tank/2009/07/12/
--Anne

Very Shannon said...

I couldn't resist adding this tute to our link luv roundup today! Come by and take a peek:

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/07/link-luv-roundup_15.html

We also have "featured on luvinthemommyhood" buttons for blogs now. Send me an email at luvinthemommyhood@yahoo.ca if you are interested and I'll email you the code.

Thanks again!

Locquy said...

I read this blog entry last week and sewed a couple of hours last night. It took me a while (I'm not used to sewing!), but I love the result: check out my little baby dress http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31055856&l=f8142ab7be&id=1089138286 and http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31055856&l=f8142ab7be&id=1089138286. Thanks for sharing your idea!

MonicaBerry said...

Thanks for sharing! I adapted your idea to make this dress (and matching headband with the scraps & some elastic) http://www.flickr.com/photos/14544992@N08/4408783477/
I had to adapt it b/c of the pattern, and I'm still not sure about the sides, but I don't want to cut too much out until she's bigger & I know it'll fit in the summer. :)

Tristen said...

This is absolutely ADORABLE!!