Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dot Quilt -- COMPLETE!

It's done! And I love it!!

Kelly commented in my previous post about a quilt she's currently making that is similar to mine. She gave me a link so I could see how she had done her borders. Immediate LOVE! I love how hers is turning out -- so I decided to do my borders similar to hers!

I used bits and pieces of different lengths for the first border, then since I didn't have any more of that polka dot background fabric (I looked at four different quilt shops for something similar!), I used a plain cream Kona cotton. I was concerned it would be distracting for it to be a different fabric, but it works just fine!


The quilting was SO fun to do! I started by quilting little flowers (they look like dahlias to me!) in the circles, then quilted larger ones in between. I love love love the texture -- and the flowers just add to the charm!


I used the same cream Kona cotton on the back -- with a strip of scraps too, of course! I'm always hesitant to put white fabric on the back of a quilt, but -- it NEEDED it!


And then a scrappy binding to finish it off!

I ~LOVE~ my finished quilt -- and this one is for MEEEEE!!!! :o)

Update: I've had lots of questions about what machine I use for quilting -- I just use my regular machine with my free-motion foot! It can be a bit cumbersome to cram larger quilts through, but generally speaking it really isn't all that difficult!

25 comments:

alison said...

gorgeous--so do you have a long arm quilt machine then? or do you wrangle it into your standard sewing machine?

Luv 2 Kreate said...

I'm Loving it too :)

Summer Rae said...

Love it! I was wondering the same thing. What machine do you use to quilt those flowers?

Anonymous said...

Very very pretty and those flowers are just beautiful!

Jen said...

Wow. Just plain wow. I am so impressed by your freehand/free motion quilting talent- that is seriously one of the cutest quilts ever!

Same question as the others- how do you get all that fabric moved around under the needle? I'd like to see some pictures of how that's done- especially for those us with a regular machine :)

Brandi said...

I love that quilt! Have a great week!

Su said...

Wow! LOVE the free motion quilting. It turned out great

Anonymous said...

great quilt!
I might try something similar on the quilt I'm doing.... the flowers that is... It fits the theme well... Hope to do that on Wednesday

Laura said...

That quilt is just stunning! I really love the flower quilting.

Anna said...

that turned out so cool! love the flower quilting.

Leslie said...

this looks so great. i love the scrappy binding

Care said...

Alison, Summer Rae, and Jen --

I use my regular machine and my free-motion foot! It is super fun, really not all that difficult, and I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try! :o)

Care.

Wendy said...

I love it! The flower quilting is perfect. Can't wait to see!

Angela Nash said...

Adorable! I love those free flowers!

How big is it?

Kari Sweeten said...

SOOOO BEAUTIFUL! I seriously want to make this!

Kelly said...

Wow! I love it, I cant wait to finish mine, I think I will do my binding the same way.

Ms Muffin said...

Oh, it's beautiful! And those quilted flowers! AMAZING!

6 Berries said...

Beautiful!

nope said...

Gorgeous! It reminds me of abalone jewelry, I love it :)

kelly said...

gorgeous. it turned out great!!

Heidi L Barber said...

Just beautiful! I love it! Love love love the texture! You are as always, inspiring me!

ARTwendy ... said...

Hey Care.... I'm back home ... so missed reading your blog! I LOVE this result! Well done you!
Cheers

Caroline said...

Love the quilting. Thanks for sharing.

Caroline

"JeanneG" said...

I too would like to know the size you do. Very nice job and I can't believe how fast you get those (and that quilting) done.

Kelly said...

I finally finished my spotted quilt, I thought you might want to see it :) http://widgetworm.blogspot.com/2010/12/hooray.html
Kelly