Monday, October 19, 2009

I-Spy Fabric Scrap Cards

Here's my entry for the Sew, Mama, Sew! Scrap Buster Contest!


With any sewing obsession comes...
SCRAPS.
And lots of them.
I've been I-Spy obsessed for a couple years now (mostly collecting, not cutting), and I've finally started putting together my destined-to-be-ginormous quilt! Being as generally fabric-obsessed as I am, I have a hard time parting with even the tiniest of scraps. Hence my most recent project!

I-Spy Cards!

Here's how I made them:

SUPPLIES:

~ SCRAPS (of course!)
~ 3x5 index cards
~ glue stick
~ cardstock
~ pinking shears (optional)

STEP ONE: Cover your index card with motifs from your fabric scraps. (I cut about 1/2" off one end of my index cards so they will fit better on my cardstock.) Use just a little swipe of your gluestick on your index card to hold your scraps in place. Be sure there is about 1/2" overhang beyond the edges of the index card.


STEP TWO: Turn to the back side, so you can see where to start and stop your stitches, and sew your scraps down. I do an allover zig-zag pattern, but you can do anything you like. (I use my free-motion foot for maximum laziness!)


STEP THREE: Trim the fabric around your index card about 1/4" away from the card. I use my pinking shears for a little extra interest.


STEP FOUR: Using your glue stick, glue your little fabric/index card "quilt" to a half-sheet of cardstock, folded in half. If you like, you can sew rather than glue, but I wanted the inside of the card to be free of stitches.
Ta-Da! A cute little any-occasion card!

It would be fun to make some themed cards, too -- birthday, holiday, baby, etc.
Here are a couple I made from some Halloween scraps:

These cards are super cute, super quick, and so much fun to make!

14 comments:

Becky DeVries said...

cute cards!! I can't part with scraps either! I have started cutting into strips and making flowers, its kind of addicting!

Ms Muffin said...

Love these! So cute!

Summer Rae said...

Super cute! Great idea to use up those tiny scraps.

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Those are really cute!!

By the way, my husband keeps raving about the quilt you made. He loves it - he says he is going to use the color scheme in an upcoming design project at work. :)

Angela Nash said...

Those are awesome! Some kind of take-along game could come out of that, too. I think I'll make little thank you cards for my tea table guests with this idea. Thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oooh that's a GREAT idea! Yay for custom card ideas AND stash busters! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love this! I'm thinking I might make something like that for my kiddos to look at during church or something. Thanks for the great idea!

Holly said...

I love this idea! And I second the comments about turning them into a game for kids... that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw them.

Melissa said...

Great idea!

Erika Mulvenna said...

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing!

Care said...

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1986

Auntie Henno said...

Nice site! Like your idea for postcards. And you love fabric, are you sure? I am certainly a fabric addict, aswell. No help for me, not even the Mayo Clinic can help me. :)

Lenetta said...

Your description is PERFECT - super cute, super quick, and so much fun! I linked to this on my roundup of favorite scrap buster projects - thanks so much!!

Michelle said...

What a great idea! Sounds like something my daughter would love to do! Thanks for sharing!

http://www.cafeboulet.blogspot.com
http://www.cafeboulet.etsy.com