Monday, July 2, 2012

Leaves for Little Caterpillar Friends

Here's a quick little five-minute project!
 My daughter JellyBean has two stuffed caterpillars, purchased at the dollar store, that are very special.  They like to do all sorts of things with her -- eat, sleep, play dollhouse, etc.  Recently JellyBean decided that they needed "blankies" of their very own.  Here is what I came up with:

 Ta-Da!  A cute leaf, complete with zig-zaggy edges and a hole for the caterpillars to climb through -- and they are big enough to wrap the caterpillars in when it's bedtime!

I simply started with two sheets of green craft felt (around 35 cents each at a craft store!) placed in a double layer for strength, and cut out a basic leaf shape, keeping as much of the surface area as I could.  I sewed around the edge, then free-motion sewed veins and a stem on the leaf.  (Of course you could do this with a straight stitch too -- with a little stopping, turning, etc.)  Then I cut a template for the hole from a scrap piece of felt.  Felt was the key, because it stuck right to the leaf!  I sewed around the felt circle (not on it of course), and simply cut just inside my stitching line.  I used pinking shears for the bumpy leaf edges.

 And then of course I had to repeat for Mrs. Caterpillar's leaf!  This one turned out smaller because my other two pieces of felt were not quite full-size.

Mrs. and Mr. Caterpillar (and JellyBean of course!) are very pleased with their new caterpillar blankies -- that double as lunch!  :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Ursula said...

OMG, those leaves are just adorable! I LOVE leaves!

xox,

Ursula

Sjbraaten1990 said...

Hi there, do you still have these stuffed animals by chance?

SITES 2021 said...

It is true that you need to listen to your body in order to understand the meaning of each pain or ache you get from time to time. Our body converts the stress it undergoes to pain so that we can actually understand that.
섯다

Unknown said...


Good post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Cheers! Feel free to visit my website;
국산야동

CLADING2222 said...

اختيار شركة نقل أثاث محترفة يمكن أن يكون له تأثير كبير على سير ونجاح عملية النقل. إليك بعض الأسباب التي تبرز أهمية اختيار شركة نقل اثاث محترفة:

التخصص والخبرة:

تتمتع شركات النقل المحترفة بالتخصص والخبرة في مجال نقل الأثاث، مما يعني أنها تمتلك المعرفة والمهارات اللازمة للتعامل مع مختلف أنواع الأثاث والتحديات التي قد تطرأ.
التجهيز والتقنيات الحديثة:

تقدم شركات نقل الاثاث بالقاهرة المحترفة التجهيزات والتقنيات الحديثة لتسهيل وتسريع عمليات النقل، مما يحسن كفاءة الخدمة ويقلل من فترات التوقف.