Saturday, March 21, 2009

Newborn No-Scratch Mittens -- TUTORIAL

My baby girl will need some mittens to keep her from scratching her face, but I haven't been able to find any in stores that I actually like. Here's my opportunity to make some out of this super-cute (but too sheer and never to be worn again) shirt I had:


Step 1: Cut them out! I used the original hem on the shirt, and the side seams too, to minimize my own sewing. (Lazy or genius? I'm not sure which!)


Step 2: Cut a piece of elastic that will be the right length for her little wrists, fold it in half, and pin it at the seam.

REVISION: Stitch two or three rows of ELASTIC THREAD instead! It's less bulky, and a little more comfy for tiny wrists!!


Step 3: Put project on hold to make a Lego creation for my (very patiently waiting) son.....


Step 4: Sew the elastic just above the hem, stretching it as you go.


Step 5: Turn right side out.


Step 6: Finger-press open the side seam and stitch the ends of the elastic down so they don't poke tiny wrists.


Ta-da!
I would have used a model for the final photo, but she hasn't gotten here yet.
**Hint-hint, little girl!!**


UPDATE 2/26/10: Download pattern here!

5 comments:

Miss Muffin said...

I think they are really cute and would like to make some. However, how large should I make them? I have no idea what would fit a newborn baby ... even though I already have a daughter ... :-/ How large did you make yours? And did they fit?

Miss Muffin said...

Thanks again for being so sweet to send the pattern/ measurements. I finally managed to finish a pair. You can see them here http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2009/10/no-scratch-mittens-for-baby.html
I also linked to your tutorial (of course).

nina said...

Hello, I have been admiring your little no scratch mitts and would love to make them, could you send me the little pattern please :) thanks so very much
ninawitteveen@gmail.com

remimomma said...

Half the tutorial is missing. It goes from cutting to elastic then bam your done? Do u add the elastic before or after u sew the mitt

Cindy Dy said...

I'm so happy that I found your blog. You had a really wonderful site. Thank you for sharing this steps and information to us. It is really a big help.

www.gofastek.com