Last week I picked up a cute little girls' two-piece outfit at Walmart for $7. It was size 8 -- obviously way too big for JellyBean -- but I had some refashioning in mind!!
Here's the first half of the refashion:
I sewed another line of stitching around the hem of the shorts. I was careful to make the distance between the original hem's stitching line and my new stitching line just the width of a safety pin.
On the inside, right next to the inseam, I snipped a little hole in between lines of stitching, then used a safety pin to thread 1/4" elastic through.
I folded down the top raw edge of the shorts and sewed to create a casing. I used 3/4" elastic, although if I'd had 1/2" elastic on hand I would have used it instead!
Ta-Da!! Super quick little bloomers with cutie little ruffly leg openings!
I then put the skirt on JellyBean, up around her chest, and measured how much I would need to take out to make it into a little top. I sewed, then cut away the excess. I used the scrap to create two little straps -- which ended up being the perfect length!
I marked them for placement and sewed them in place on the inside of the top.