Saturday, November 7, 2009

Skirt Refashion

For Mother's Day this year my husband took the kids and let me have the entire morning to myself to sew. I was in desperate need of a new skirt, so I got to work. I wanted to make a tiered skirt, but didn't want it ankle length. I decided to go with knee length.

I had some really cute fabric in mind, but was too scared to cut into it just yet, so I got out some fabric I'd been saving for a couple years to make a "wearable muslin." I spent hours on it. There was a lot of gathering. (I do not love gathering!!)

I got it all finished and tried it on, and... It was AWFUL!! And I mean Really, Really Hideous! I was SO glad I hadn't cut into my cute-cute fabric! So I tucked it away for a "someday refashion." (Fortunately for everyone, I don't have a "before" photo of me wearing it!)

Well, months later, its day has come. I picked out the waistband, busted out my elastic thread (my friend!!), and shirred the top. Then I added ribbon ties, and --

VOILA!! Super cute dress for my super cute niece's birthday! Since the weather is turning colder, it just needs a long-sleeve white shirt to go underneath.

I can't wait to see her in it!

4 comments:

Shannan said...

ruby does look SO cute in the dress and surprise surprise...she LOVES it!

Thank you!!!

Meka said...

That is so cute and I love that fabric! I have so much to learn about sewing! Did you use 3 elastic pieces to make the top of that?

Care said...

Hi Meka,

I used elastic thread -- it goes in the bobbin, with regular thread on top. I sewed nine or ten rows of elastic thread. So fun, so simple! You should try it!

mom22seans said...

I love this! Is there a tutorial somewhere?