Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Pot Holder Travel "Sewing Project" Kit -- TUTORIAL

I like to have a project to work on at all times. My favorite time to catch up on a little handwork is on car trips! Today I'll show you a quick-to-put-together sewing project organizer to have handy for those long drives!


SUPPLIES:

~ pot holder with side loop (found mine 2/$1 at the dollar store!)
~ matching button
~ 8 or so "snack size" zipper bags


STEP ONE: Fold your pot holder in half right sides together and mark the center line with pins.

STEP TWO: Using a disappearing ink marker, draw the center line and remove the pins.


STEP THREE: Arrange your snack bags with the bottoms overlapping your center line slightly, alternating zipper sides right-left-right and so on. Those bags are slippery, so be prepared to either pin or hold them in place!


STEP FOUR: Sew down your center line.


STEP FIVE: Fold your organizer shut and mark where your button will go. (The loop of the pot holder will loop around your button, holding it neatly shut.)


STEP FIVE: Sew on the button!


Ta-Da!


Fill it with your sewing supplies, and you're ready to go!

This would also make a cute coupon organizer or simple first aid kit!

16 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

So clever! Great idea!

Susan said...

I like this project. I made one several years ago during a church craft day. Instead of a seewing kit we made them into a car/first aid kid. I still have it in my car.

Andrea Hardman said...

Cool!

pdisandro said...

What a great idea! You could also use this for a travel jewelry case!

Unknown said...

What a cool idea. And it looks like something even I can do! I linked to this post over at my blog and also added you to my blogroll. :)

http://thegirlcreative.blogspot.com/2009/11/dollar-store-crafts-travel-sewing-kit.html

Attilio said...

what a super cool very cheap stocking filler for gran, mum, aunt, anyone really. you could use it for tons of things..thks for sharing
becky

Unknown said...

HOW COOL IS THAT! :) Thanks!

Jennifer @ The Craft House said...

This is really awesome! I could find so many uses for something like this!

If you don't mind, I would love, love, love to mention this post in my Posts of the Week post due out November 8th! :)

-Jennifer

Anne said...

Wow! What a cool idea!! I need to make one of these so I can take my stitching with me to the park.

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-travel-sewing-kit-from-a-quilted-potholder/2009/11/04/

--Anne

Mama V said...

I love these, I have one of these in my car with all the stuff that you suddenly need when you aren't at home. a mini sewing kit, some band-aids, elastics, hair barrettes, safety pins, post-its and mini pencil stuff like that. :)

Cathe Holden said...

So brilliant it hurts. I love this project! Awesome repurpose.

Unknown said...

A+++++

iffatali said...

It cost $65 last week for a fill-up of our Expedition. My husband travels a lot for his job. If he has to drive that (car) around to every corner of the East coast, we're in a lot of trouble.
Flights to Windhoek
Cheap Flights to Windhoek
Cheap Air Tickets to Windhoek

Anna Schafer said...

Search for cheap flights and compare cheap flight deals to hundreds of worldwide destinations. Find flight offers & bargains on hotels, holidays and car hire.net flights

William said...

This is the first time i read your blog and admire that you have posted on this...I really found useful.Keep updated.
travel organizer bag

Rick said...

The first organizer I saw used sandwich bags and cut half of them off- such a waste. Your idea is brilliant- off to the store to buy pot holders! Thanks so much for sharing.