Friday, August 7, 2009

Dollar Store Shirt to Peasant Top -- TUTORIAL

I think I'm becoming obsessed with Dollar Store "Irregular" T-Shirts. Take a look at my latest project!

I made THIS:
(photo courtesy of Buzz's awesome "4-year-old photographer" skills!)


out of THIS:
This project will take MINUTES. All you need is:

~ a Dollar Store T-Shirt
you want it to fit well in the hip area
(check where the "irregularity" is -- I find it's usually a tiny hole)

~ bobbin loaded with elastic thread
(HAND wind it without stretching!!)

~ regular thread in a color to match your shirt

~ serger


STEP ONE: Cut your shirt as shown in the photo.


STEP TWO: Gently serge around all raw edges using a rolled hem stitch, being careful not to stretch the fabric. (When you get to the part on the neckline where you cut into the sleeve, gently straighten the fabric and continue guiding it into the serger.)


If you are digging the 80's off-the-shoulder look, stop here and throw it on over your leotard!

If not, continue:
STEP THREE: With your regular thread above and the elastic in the bobbin, lengthen your stitch to 3.5 or so. (I did 3.75) Beginning with the neckline, line up the edge of your presser foot with the serged edge. Go backward and forward a few stitches two or three times to ensure the elastic won't pull out. Stitch all the way around the neckline. When you get to where you started, veer off to the left until the right edge of the presser foot is lined up with your first row of stitching. Gently pull the fabric flat as you go, and don't sew over any "tucks." Go around the number of rows you like (I did three rows on this one), and when you get back to where you started, veer back in to your most recent line of stitching, remembering to backstitch again.


If you like the fluttery, sticky-outy (technical term, there!) look in your sleeves, you can stop here!

If not, continue:

STEP FOUR: Stitch around your sleeves, starting at the seam in the underarm, lining up the foot with the edge and backstitching the same way as in step three. I did one row of stitching here, and backstitched when I completed the row.

YOU'RE DONE!!

This would make a super cute maternity top -- all you would have to do is start with a shirt in Size Giganto. (No offense, pregnant ladies!!) Or, if you find a youth size shirt, this could be adorable on a little girl!!

40 comments:

Kath' said...

This is awesome. I can't believe how cute it looks and for a buck and some time.
Thanks for the tutorial.
Come join me on my blog contest at www.lilbitoldlilbitnew.com
Kath'

Susan said...

I love this! I was totally admiring it on you today too-without even suspecting you had made it! I should have guessed!

Anne said...

This is so cool! I have a stack of yard sale t-shirts (even cheaper than the irregular dollar store ones!) just waited to be reworked into something cute.

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-peasant-top-from-a-boxy-tee/2009/08/08/

--Anne

Mama Lusco said...

Great idea! Your shirt is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial.

Deborah Raymond said...

This is great! I have to try it.

Shay said...

And if you can't find a size/color you like at Dollar Store, Michael's and Hobby Lobby put their t-shirts on sale for $2.50 fairly often.

This is a great idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

perfectly easy and cute! can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

You did a really neat and professional job. I would never have guessed that you hadn't bought it at a quality store.

Courtney said...

You are a genius! I wish I lived closer to you and I would pay you to make me some clothes. So cute!

Kari Sweeten said...

I LOVE this and am totally featuring this today!

Anonymous said...

Majorly Cute! I want to try one...need some elastic thread.

Ashley said...

yes, i need a serger. so cute!

Crystal said...

I am going to do this to my daughter's Thomas the train and Diego shirts, ao the look like girl shirts. These are so cute, Thanks.

Su said...

oh yes! Absolutely gorgeous!

Kristine Farley said...

Thank you! What a cute idea!!! I'm going to share it with our daughters. Blessings,
Kristine

Ellena said...

So cute! I am so impressed, thank you I am gonna try it

AmyDe said...

Totally Cute! Thanks - these are going to make it into my P.J. Sewing routine for my little girl using the bigger shirts as well as making her some cute ones to wear out. So Easy!!! Better go wind some bobbins by hand now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for sharing such a great idea. I gotta get at those t-shirts! x

Karlene C said...

This is fantastic, I have just been trying to think of a way to get this look from a t-shirt.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

VERY good idea - i will def be trying this with my stack of hubby-donated tees. and finally, a shape for a nightie that i LIKE. thanks a million!

Unknown said...

this is soo cool....i'm still very new in this sewing things...reading tutorials here specially with pix are really a big help....thanks c",)

Beattie Family said...

I think this would be great to make some of my old t-shirts into night shirts for my little girls. Thanks!

Kaja said...

Supercool idea! I love that peasant style tops for my daughter, and she will be thrilled about the curly edges!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to do this without a serger?

Cabam said...

çok harika olmuş tabii ben ingilizce sen türkçe bilmeyince bu kadar iltifat olur.. güle güle kullanın...

Barb said...

Adorable. I love it! Can't wait to try it.

Lynette said...

What an awesome idea!!! Thanks for linking it to my El Cheap-O link party!

Lynette

Julia said...

OK, so I bought a t-shirt just like this at Anne Taylor Loft! No kidding! I'll definitely be making some of these.

Andrea said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

I did it and posted my results on http://mycutiefruity.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

I just made a shirt following your instructions! I like how it came out, and plan to wear it with my pj bottoms. So much cuter than the baggy t-shirt look! :-)

Holly said...

Is this possible without a serger?

Arlene's Bags said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial.
I just tried doing one of the t-shirts like yours. Should we be stretching the neckline as we sew? I didn't and ended up with an opening that was soooooooooo small!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tutorial! i finally managed to turn one of my large tshirts into a peasant top! YAY!

TabbyKat said...

i love this!! i posted a link on my blog.

Unknown said...

I love this! I was totally admiring it on you today too-without even suspecting you had made it! I should have guessed!

Cool Shirts

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

'Love this tutorial! I wrote about it over at Stone Cottage Adventures. If you get a chance, check it out. I would love to have your feedback!

http://stonecottageadventures.blogspot.com/2011/10/mens-t-shirt-makeover-4-peasant-top.html

Heather said...

Not sure if you will see this as it is an old post but I am wondering about using elastic in the bobbin. I have a regular old Brother sewing machine (no serger) but I would love to do this...would I be able to use elastic in it? What tension do you set?
Hope to hear from you... Very cute idea!
Thanks,
Heather

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

That turned out adorable--can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

Where are the instructions to adorable white peasant top. It is simply cute. Being a bit chubby it looks like a great style me. I just love it. You are talented. Thank you for the many ideas. How many years experience to you have sewing? I wonder how mine will look.