Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tablecloth Quilt

A couple years ago I snagged a 1/4 yard cut of each fabric from Heather Ross's Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries line. I didn't know what exactly I would be doing with them, but I knew I loved them. Then about a year ago I scored a vintage tablecloth at a thrift store for $3 that I knew was a perfect color match. These fabrics were some that stayed in the "uncuttable" pile for quite some time, because I admired them and wasn't sure where to go next.

Well, a couple months ago I got brave enough and started whacking. The fabrics needed to stay in fairly large pieces so they would be showcased, so I did a very simple pattern. I think it's called Hidden Nine-Patch. I saw it on someone's blog, but I can't remember whose. (Sorry! Let me know if it was yours!)

Anyway, I put the whole top together a few months ago, quilted it last month, and then got stuck because I wanted a bright red-orange binding. (Can I just say that it is an IMPOSSIBLE color to find??) I gave up on Tuesday and used the green fabrics (those are not Heather Ross's, by the way -- I added them in) for the binding. I just finished hand-finishing the binding last night!

Here's the back view. It was a round tablecloth, so I cut off four sides to make it square and used the excess in the front. Then, since it was a rectangular quilt and I had a square for the back, I added a pieced strip in the back. I must say, I loooove the colors, and the tablecloth really is a perfect match!!

8 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh boy, I have a thing for poppies and everytime I see it on fabric I start drooling! Can't take my eyes off of that quilt!

Shay said...

You have a great eye for combining fabrics from different sources. That quilt is really a showpiece.

:o) mg said...

Just found your blog... this is fantastic. LOVE the colors.

Daniel and Kari Tandberg said...

How big are the squares that you used?

Daniel and Kari Tandberg said...

And how many different fabrics did you use? I am trying to get an idea of how much fabric I need.

Care said...

Hi Kari,

I started with 81 6" cut squares, turned into nine 9-patches. Once they are cut into quarters you will have 36 blocks, but you won't use one of them (7 rows of 5 blocks each). I used a total of 13 fabrics. The finished dimensions are approximately 37" x 53". (I rarely shoot for standard sizes!) I hope this helps! I'd love to see your finished quilt!

Care.

Daniel and Kari Tandberg said...

Thank you! It might take me a while, but I will send you a picture when I finish!

Kari

Wandering Chopsticks said...

This is so gorgeous! You've given me inspiration. I've got a few tablecloths that I'd rather turn into quilts. But like you, I've still been paralyzed. Don't want to cut them up.